This special licence application form is provided pursuant to Section 138, Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.

You only need a special licence if the sale of alcohol is part of the event. Alcohol sale includes cash bar, koha or fees included as part of the ticket price or social club membership fee. Contact the Alcohol Licensing team on 04 499 4444 if you are unsure.

Are you selling alcohol as part of your event?

*This question is required.
Under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012, “selling alcohol” can also mean:
  • charging a fee (for example: an entry fee, membership fee, a ticket price, or a payment of any other kind) for an event where alcohol will be available;
  • if your event requires, asks for, or suggests the making of a koha or other donation and alcohol will be available at the event.
We are unable to issue a Special Licence for your event if there is no sale of alcohol in any way. So if there is no sale, you can’t proceed with this online application.  
  • You will also need to ensure you do not breach Wellington’s liquor ban areas.
2. Are you selling alcohol in more than 1 location? *This question is required.
If your event is being held at different places, you'll need to complete this application form for each place.