The survey email invitation plays a key role in persuading your target audience to complete your survey – or not. SurveyGizmo has put together the following best practices along with an email template to help you create effective and compliant online survey email invitations:
- Be sure that the recipients have agreed to receive emails/offers from your company
- Your ‘From’ name should be easily recognizable, including the company name or the name of an individual
- Subject lines should be kept short (35 characters or less). Avoid using all caps, exclamation points, or dollar signs and avoid words that trigger spam filters such as “important message” and “free”
- Include personal information, such as the recipient’s name, wherever you can
- Thank the recipient in advance for their participation and assure confidentiality of their responses
- Mention the purpose of the survey and let recipients know how participating in the survey will benefit them
- Indicate how long the survey will take. On average, respondents can complete 5 closed-ended questions or 2 open-ended questions per minute (BTW SurveyGizmo 3.0 has a built in estimator)
- Include a deadline for survey completion; deadline dates encourage people to complete the survey right then
- Let respondents know that that they are part of a select group invited to participate
- If offering a sweepstakes incentive include a link to the rules
- Include the survey URL and instructions for accessing the survey
If you are sending email to people within the United States, it is also important to follow the rules set forth by the CAN-SPAM Act.
Here’s a rundown of the main requirements:
- Don’t use false or misleading header information. Your ‘From’ ‘To’ ‘Reply-To’ and routing information – including the originating domain name and email address – must be accurate and identify the person or business who initiated the message
- Don’t use deceptive subject lines; the subject line must accurately reflect the content of the message
- Tell recipients where you’re located; your message must include your valid postal address
- Tell recipients how to opt out of receiving future email from you. Your message must include a clear and conspicuous explanation of how the recipient can opt out of getting email from you in the future. If you’re using SurveyGizmo to send out the email invitations, we automatically add this piece of text as well as your address to comply with the CAN SPAM act.
- Honor opt-out requests promptly. Any opt-out mechanism you offer must be able to process opt-out requests for at least 30 days after you send your message and you must honor a recipient’s opt-out request within 10 business days. If you are using SurveyGizmo, we automatically put a link to opt-out on your email. If a person clicks this link, they will be taken off any list, and you will not be able to send them emails through SurveyGizmo any more.
Sample Survey Email Invitation:
In an effort to goal of the survey, company name is conducting a research study with select group invited/target audience. Your input can help us goal of survey that will survey participation benefit to recipient. We estimate that it will take you approximately __ minutes to complete the survey.
Simply click on the link below, or cut and paste the entire URL into your browser to access the survey:
We would appreciate your response by deadline
Your input is very important to us and will be kept strictly confidential (used only for the purposes of research for this project).
If you have any questions or would prefer to complete a paper survey please call us at __________ or email me at ______
If you experience technical difficulties accessing or submitting the survey please contact _______ at _______
To be removed from this or any future mailings, please click here or reply to this message and enter “REMOVE” in the subject line